A journey through words ...

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Next Birth: Of course a cricketer says Yograj

Cricket was an ambition, which was not fulfilled, but in case the almighty gives me a rebirth, I would want to be a world class cricketer, says Yograj Singh, a name which needs no introduction.
Yograj Singh, popularly known as Yograj, is a pillar of the Punjabi film industry and was also a former member of the India Cricket Team.
Cricketer turned actor has played one Test and six ODIs for India as a right-arm fast-medium bowler, he lately entered Punjwood, Punjabi film industry, which the man himself calls his two professions.
As a cricketer, Yograj made his first-class debut in the 1976-1977 seasons and played for a Combined Universities team against the English cricket team (MCC). Yograj made into the Indian team on the 1980 ODI tour to Australia for the Benson and Hedges World Series, which involved Australia and New Zealand. He had a modest record, taking four wickets in total at an average of 46.5 with his best figures being 2/44 on debut against New Zealand at the Gabba, which gave him a berth in the Indian team that was touring New Zealand in 1980-81 seasons.
However, his passion didn’t go for long. His cricketing career soon came to an end due to an injury that affected his eye and Yograj got retired from first-class cricket in 1985.
He started his career as a cricketer, but lately went into. It is a very sad story and Yograj still feel bad about it. He had an injury while playing and because of that he was forced to retire from international cricket. However, cricket still is his first love. “I eat, sleep and dream cricket. I run a cricket academy in Chandigarh and that is why I spend two weeks in a month there. Life without cricket is not possible for me”.
After his retirement from cricket he became an actor, appearing primarily in Punjabi films. He has appeared in about 150 films. He is best known as a villain for his performance in “Badla Jatti Da”. His son Yuvraj Singh is a current member of the Indian cricket team.
Explaining how his passion for playing cricket for his country ended due to an inquiry, Yograj full of emotions said, “Cricket is precious possessions, but somehow somebody snatched my right to play for the country. I have only bad memories of the only Test I ever played. I was fielding at fine leg when the ball flew to me. I tripped over a slight bump near the boundary and the ball hit my left eye. Within five minutes I was bowling with one eye.
On the third day I tore my neck muscles while was exercising , following I was hospitalized. All I played was a day-and-a-half in that Test match. After that they chucked me out of the team, then the state side, and that was the end of my career.
Then God gave me a son in 1981. When he was one year old I thought I would take my revenge. My son is a very talented kid; he was very good at every sport he played, be it skating or tennis.
One day I told him, 'Son, how do you want me to live in this world with the same face if you don't complete my dream? I want you to play cricket for the country and complete my unfulfilled dream.'
Yuvraj realised what I meant. The whole house was changed. I built nets in the backyard, laid a cement pitch, and installed lights. I bought him a new bat every day. There are about 200 bats lying in the house and tons of gloves. I got plastic balls, with which current cricketers practice now, for him.
And then began his training -- six hours on the ground and four hours at home in the nights. People said I had gone mad. They said I was inhuman with my son. I was harsh with him, but not inhuman. But I did not want to miss the train a second time in my life. Yuvraj realised my agony; felt my pain. He knew I was rewriting my destiny through him.
On asking, if Yuvraj is taking the place of David and is turning out to be the next dependable for the India Team, Yograj said, “ I Don’t compare my son with anyone. My son will be a world champion and I breathe through my son. The time, when Yuvraj will retire, people would then remember the talent that my son has. His excellence is still to come”.
Yograj, an emotional feels sad , as people and the young generation are getting away from their traditions, their customs. “Love for a people is fading, infact it is seen nowhere. I feel sad, when I seen people copying the delicacy”, says, the giant Yograj.
Cricketer, then an actor and now Yograj is into Hindi serials. “ I have acted in more than 150 films in Punjab and wanted to do something with Hindi serials. Though I have done a Hindi film with Jeetendra and Rekha called Insaaf Ki Devi earlier, I have never acted in a Hindi serial. So when Deepti Bhatnagar (producer of the serial) personally requested me to do Mohe Rang De there was no way I could refuse. The role I am playing in the serial is also very significant and close to my real self. And last but not the least, Deepti’s in laws are very close friends of mine, so that made me more inclined towards this serial”, he asserted.
Is it true that your younger son Zorawar is entering Bollywood? Yes. I don’t want Yuvraj to venture into acting before he retires from cricket. But I want Zorawar to make a mark in the film industry and as such he is currently undergoing a training course at Kishore Namit Kapoor’s acting school. My life is a mix of cricket and acting — I want my sons to become great cricketers and actors.
His life is full of events and he is a busy man. “I am keeping extremely busy with a couple of films and Mohe Rang De. God has given me a new life with these opportunities. At my age, I have completed my responsibilities as a son, wife and father and now I am doing what my hearts wants me to”, opined Yograj.

No comments:

Post a Comment