A journey through words ...

Friday, August 21, 2009

We love Chandigarh




While for cute and sexy - Manisha Lamba, Chandigarh has always been a favourite, the designer Vikram Phadnis and Mandira Wirk sense that the city is ‘open and experimental’.
In the city for the Blenders Pride Magical Nights Tour fashion show, we talk to the actor and the bollywood designers about their films, fashion, and more…
Manisha Lamba
A Punjaban, Minissha is always happy to be in the North. "I am always excited to come to Punjab, as my heart longs for this land and connects to almost everyone here." And for the city, "Chandigarh has always been a favourite and what I like here is the accent of the people and the flavour of the food that you don't get anywhere else on earth."
“The food apart, it would give me an opportunity to speak and hear Punjabi,” says the petite actress who wanted to be a journalist, but then acting came her way.
"Bollywood has been very warm to me. In fact, the industry is changing and accepting a lot of newcomers and above all, the industry is expanding and letting in a lot of beginners," says Minissha. Ask was acting a conscious decision and she says, "I did a commercial film with director Shoojit Sircar and he was the one who cast me in Yahaan, and hence started my filmy career.
Here for the fashion event, we ask how did she decide upon the show and she says, "The show is about work hard and party harder and I believe in the same, and this was my reason for choosing the show." So, what is she wearing, "I would be wearing designs by both Mandira Virk and Vikram Phadnis." Decode fashion, "I am not a fashion victim, so I can do without a lot of fashionable things, but then fashion too means an extension of the self."
What's much more exciting is my upcoming project with Shyam Benegal. In his film, Well Done Abba, my character is very different. Like nothing I've ever played before. The story is about a father and daughter relationship living in a village. I play the daughter of Boman Irani."
Elaborating on her tryst with alternate cinema, Minissha called it "an educative experience. I have never entered a village in real life, but this film was shot in a village. It was a hat ke experience."
Vikram Phadnis
Most Stylists... Of course, Salman is the most stylish man in Bollywood. He is a style icon without an effort, feels fashion Vikram Phadnis , who has been designing for bollywood for long and has his own favorites too.
He makes the stars look good and his creations become trendsetters for the world. Vikram Phandis was in city for Blenders Pride Magical Nights Tour fashion show.
A long journey in the fashion circuit, his career spans over 17 years. Ask him what’s next, and he replies, “I’m writing a script for my film. Though nothing in my career had been pre-planned, but direction has always been a conscious step.”
Friday fashion changes in Bollywood. And with it trends change across the globe," declares, Vikram. As proof, he cites: "People actually ask their designers to customise various dresses shown in Bollywood films for them. For instance, the sherwani's and lehngas in the film Mujhe Se Shaadi Karoge became very popular." From Priyanka Chopra, Aishwarya Rai, Katrina Kaif, Sushmita Sen, Bipasha Basu, Ayesha Takia, Malaika Arora and Amrita Arora to Karisma Kapoor...yes...He has dressed them all!
Speaking of challenges, for Vikram it was ‘Salaam-e-Ishq’ that put his creative abilities to test. “I spent two years of my life putting together 800 costumes for the film. From the leading actors to the dance troupes, everyone got to wear clothes designed by me,” says Phadnis, who also dressed up the men on screen including Salman Khan who he rates as ‘The’ style icon of Bollywood. As for the ladies, he says it’s a forever changing list. Just like fashion.
What was he showcasing at the show? “
It’s club wear, so it has to have a lot of bling. My garments are Bollywood-inspired and have a lot of embellishments.”
On fashion front, “After this, I have Lakme Fashion Week and for the LFW I will present a bridal wear collection for the first time.” He spells bridal trends for the season, “My collection is going to be different. I am presenting earthy but fiery hues. It’s going to be a royal old-world charm.”
Mandira Wirk
For those of you who have caught stylish action (fashion) week after (fashion) week, will know that Mandira Wirk is a busy bee. The relatively new to the industry designer has been churning out collections that have left lasting impressions. But it’s her surname that gets us inquisitive and we learn she’s a Wirk from Jalandhar. “Punjab is home to me,” says the Punjabi kudi who packed her bags early on to study at the London School of Fashion. “I was always designing my own clothes and that kind of progressed into a full-fledged career,” she says.
What’s in store for the show?
“My collection is feminine and wearable. From ivory to mushroom, I have used lilac and fuschia for my collection and the fabrics include silk and jersey.”
What about Bollywood?
“I have done designing for reality shows. I dressed Lara Dutta and Deepika Padukone for the Knight Riders and some Bollywood projects are in the pipeline.”
Last, what’s keeping her occupied these days?
“After this show I have the Kolkata Fashion Week, Lakme Fashion Week and Spring Summer-2010 collection,” she signs off.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Where to find hookers

    ReplyDelete